Glossary
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z home
Identification
The process of comparing and matching an unknown entity with a known entity; the known may be a specimen, an illustration, a photo, or electronic image.

Imbricate
Overlapping, as do shingles on a roof.

Imperfect
Having unisexual flowers. Having either stamen or pistil (carpels) but not both.

Inconspicuous
Hard to see; not striking to the eye.

Indehiscent
Not opening at maturity, staying closed.

Indicator Categories:
Upland - Not on National List of Plant Species That Occur In Wetlands: Texas.

Facultative Upland - Usually occurs in upland or non-wetlands (probability 67%-99%); but occasionally found in wetlands (probability 1%-33%).

Facultative - Equally likely to occur in wetlands or non-wetlands (probability 34%-66%).

Facultative Wetland - Usually occurs in wetlands (probability 67%-99%), but occasionally found in non-wetlands.

Obligatory Wetland - Under natural conditions occurs in wetlands (probability >99%).

Indurate
Hard.

Infertile
Incapable of sexual reproduction.

Inflated
Puffed up, bladdery.

Inflorescence
Flowering part of a plant, above the uppermost leaf or portion thereof.

Inrolled
Having margin rolled toward the midvein; involute.

Intercalary Meristem
Meristematic tissue occurring in an area other than at the apical meristem; tissue at the base of the internode in young culms.

International Code of Botanical Nomenclature
The documentation containing the rules that governs the assignments of names to plants. The ultimate goal, being to provide a single correct name for each taxon.

Internode
The part of a culm between two successive nodes.

Involucre
A cluster of bristles or sterile branchlets below the spikelets (e.g., Cenchrus and Pennisetum).

Involute
Margins inrolled toward the midvein on the upper surfaces e.g. leaf bades.