C D E
F G H
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
- Prefix meaning without.
- Located on the side away from the axis.
- A dry, one-seeded, indehiscent fruit with a relatively thin wall in which
the seed coat is not fused to the ovary wall.
- Gradually tapering to a sharp point; point is drawn out.
- Sharply pointed, but less tapering than acuminate; angle 90o
- Located on the side nearest the axis.
- To stick to.
- Sticking or clinging.
- Fusion of unlike parts (e.g., fusion of palea to the caryopsis in Bromus).
- Adventitious roots
- Roots developing from basal culms, nodes, or some structure other than
- A term used to denote an exotic species that has become established from
chance or accidental seeding.
- Clustered or forming a group with objects in close proximity.
- Located singly at each node. An arrangement of parts, e.g. leaves, placed
at different heights along an axis.
- Completing life cycle from seed to maturity to death within one year or
- Pollen bearing portion of the stamen.
- Directed upward or forward toward the apex; the opposite of retrorse.
- Uppermost tip of a structure.
- Plural of apex.
- Located at the tip.
- Ending in a short, flexible point.
- A secondary part or a projecting part.
- Lying against an organ in the direction of the apex.
- Provided with a short awn or bristle from the apex, edge or back of an
- Having an odor, fragrant or otherwise; bearing volatile essential oils.
- Jointed; a node for natural separation.
- Sloping or rising obliquely upward.
- Without sex; sexless; not involving gametes.
- Not having planes which divide the structure into mirror-image halves.
- Gradually narrowing to a pointed apex or base; sharper than acute.
- A finger-like appendage or flange of tissue at the junction of the blade
and sheath in some grasses. Holds the open sheath to the culm.
- Growth form for late summer and fall (e.g. Dichanthelium).
- The extension of the vein (nerve) of spikelet bracts beyond the leaf-like
- The upper angle between an organ (branch) and its axis.
- Occurring in an axil.
- The central stem(s) of an inflorescence, particularly of a panicle.